Saturday, May 28, 2011

Black and White (1990) By David Macaulay Caldecott Award Winner

This book was confusing at first, even to an adult, so I could definitely see a child sitting down with this trying to figure it out for awhile. Once I got the hang of it, I saw how each of the four stories all intertwined with one another, and found that very clever and creative, not like any other book I have ever seen before. This is one of those books that reading it multiple times would bring out more of the story each time.
I would use this book in my classroom as a free choice book. I could see students partner reading, trying to connect the stories and using the illustrations to guide their way through the stories. It would be a good early finisher book, since it takes thinking to go through the pages. Each page has so many different details in each picture, which requires attention to each page and so it could really capture a young reader’s attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment