Saturday, May 28, 2011

Emma's Turtle (2007) By Eve Bunting Illustrated by Marsha Winborn

This is a good book to read to anyone who might have a pet. I'm sure many children read to their pets and tell them their secrets and many other things, so a lot of people can probably relate to this story. I actually had a turtle when I was younger, and remember always taking it everywhere, and so this book reminded me of when I was younger and loved having a pet.

As a teacher I would use this book to tell students it is okay to follow their dreams, like the turtle did. He heard so many great things from Emma and one day he decided he needed to see them for himself. Although he didn't make it past the second tree in the yard, he still took a risk and followed his dream and met some other animals along the way. It could also be a good book to show that people from other places aren't that different from you, and to not be afraid of meeting new people and discovering new things. After reading this story it might be a good writing project for the students to write about one of their dreams they want to pursue when they get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment