Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (1969) By William Steig Caldecott Award Winner

I remember this book from when I was a kid, and so when I saw it I had to read it again to refresh my memory. I really enjoyed rereading this book, because even though I recognized it by the cover, I couldn’t remember what it was about so it was great to have a book bring me back to my childhood. There are definitely little details that you pick up as an adult when you go back and read books you read as a child. Such as how the police officers are pigs, and how he wishes of all things to be a rock, which literally made me laugh out loud.
As a teacher I might use this book as a way to teach a lesson about thinking through your decisions. Even though this book was published in 1969, the lesson throughout it could still hold true in today’s society. Teaching students about the importance of every decision they make and ways to think about them, before you make a brash decision. It would also be a fun book to kick off an art project. First you could start by reading the book to the class, followed with a discussion and then have students paint their own magic pebble, and then write a story about what they would wish for.

No comments:

Post a Comment