Thursday, June 2, 2011

Betty Lou Blue By Nancy Crocker and Illustrated by Boris Kulikov (2006)



I really enjoyed this book. The whole book was written as a rhyme, which made it flow off of the tongue and made it enjoyable to read. I enjoyed the message behind the book, about how some people can't control their differences so they shouldn't be bullied for them. I also liked how they pointed out that some differences can end up helping a person.

As a teacher this might be a book that I would start a bullying unit with. I think that students would like how the whole book rhymed. I would want the students to take away the fact that Betty Lou may have had big feet, but that was something that was out of her control, and so that was not something they should bully her for. She overcame her bullys by being the better person and saving them all from the snow storm, which should show students that people have so much more to offer. I think that this would also be an interesting book to do a reader's theater with. Since the words rhyme, it could help with their fluency when they perform it. A poetry lesson could also come from this book where students could write a poem based on this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment