Thursday, June 2, 2011

Emmet Written and illustrated by Leo Politi (1971)



As a reader, I really enjoyed this book. I thought that the illustrations were wonderful and really liked how he would include smaller illustrations on one page, and on about every other page there was a two page spread of what the story was telling. Even though this book is older, I think that a lot of today's children and adults would enjoy it. I also think that one message that could come from this book is that you shouldn't count someone out as being useful even if they might seem to be in the say, they eventually may really help you out. I think that this lesson would come to be really useful for students and adults.

As a teacher I think that I would use this book with a small group. On some pages there is a lot of text, which could help kids fluency if they read it aloud. I would also do this with a small group because it would be easier for each student to take the time to look at the illustrations in depth. Since there are pages of text followed by an illustration of what happened on two full pages, the illustrations really require students to study them carefully. One activity that could be done with this is having students write a one page story and then draw a full page illustration of what is happening in their story.

No comments:

Post a Comment