Thursday, June 2, 2011

Never Take a Shark to the Dentist (and other things not to do) By Judi Barrett and illustrated by John Nickle (2008)



As a reader I really enjoyed this book. There wasn't much text, but the pictures did a lot of the talking. The book is a silly book that tells you what not to do, like never knit a hat for a moose or take a giraffe to the movies. My favorite illustration was the never take a giraffe to the movies, because the page folds open until you finally see the top of his head. Although this is such a simple book, the idea behind it is really cute and I could see a lot of people enjoying it.

As a teacher I would love using this book. I think that the students would really enjoy being read to and taking time to look at the pictures. One activity that could come out of this is having students think of their own page to add to the book, much like what we did with the book "If..." in class. Students could write their own page and then draw their own pictures to go along with their phrase. I think that this book would be a good book to use as a break from the normal lessons when there is free time available.

No comments:

Post a Comment