Thursday, June 2, 2011

Quiet in the Garden Written and Illustrated by Aliki (2009)



I really enjoyed this book. I think that it is a book that many children would love to read, because the pictures were colorful and the book was informative, but it was told in a way that made learning fun. I liked how at the end of the story the author included how the reader could plant their own garden.

As a teacher I would use this book for younger grades. I would probably use it to tie into a science lesson about plants and gardens. I think that it would be a great resource to talk about how to plant a garden, and what certain animals eat in gardens. In the back of the book the page on how to create a garden would be a good way to tie the science lesson in. Students could plant a flower, grass, a vegetable or something else and watch it grow, just like the boy in the story watches his garden grow and learns about what the different bugs eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment