Thursday, June 2, 2011

Lilly's Big Day Written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes (2006)



As a reader, I enjoyed this book. I could definitely see loving this book when I was younger, since I always dreamed of being a flower girl. I thought that the book used a lot of humor when Henkes made Lilly act as though the whole day was about her. I think that a lot of little girls and adults can relate to this story because being in a wedding is something many people think about.

As a teacher I would use this book in a small reading group. I think that this book would really get girls who may be reluctant to read, interested in reading. The books are funny and colorful with a story that many young girls can relate to. There are also other books about Lilly written by Henkes, and so this might spark an interest in students going out on their own and reading other books about Lilly or other picture books with similar plots. I think that this book could really help young readers get interested in reading and learning more.

No comments:

Post a Comment